Tempe Police: Gang member yells at bartender, assaults responding officer

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 46-year-old Tempe man was arrested Nov. 16 on the 1600 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of aggravated assault against an officer, assault, making threats and assisting a street gang, according to a police report.

The man had been drinking at a bar when he began yelling at the bartender, the report said.

He was told to leave or the employee would call the police, police said.

He told the bartender he did not have a car and grabbed the right portion of his leather vest displaying a patch that said “The Hun’s” in yellowing lettering, police reported.

The report said The Hun’s were a documented street gang and that the bartender felt intimidated by the man.

Officers responded to the scene and spotted the man walking away from the bar, according to police.

An officer reported observing the man walk past the patio of another bar, where he grabbed one of the patrons behind the head and took his hat, the report said.

The officer told the man to stop, but he instead threw the hat on the ground, police said.

The report said the officer then pushed the man to the ground because of his aggressive behavior toward the patron and for refusing to listen to the officer.

The man continued to struggled and attempted to pull the officer to the ground, so the officer then struck the man in the face four times and tased him, according to police.

The officer was then able to detain the man, and when police asked why he took the patron’s hat he said, “I don’t know, because I’m an asshole,” police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail where he was booked, the report said.

A 20-year-old Tempe man was arrested Nov. 19 at South McClintock Drive and East Broadway Road on suspicion of minor in consumption of liquor, being a fugitive from justice and marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

Police contacted the man while he was the front passenger of a car during a traffic stop, the report said.

Officers did a background check on the man and found he had an outstanding Mesa warrant, police said.

Officers detained the man and gave him a portable breath test that registered a .105, according to police.

The report said officers search the car and found a backpack that belonged to the man and inside reported finding a red container with marijuana, rolling papers and a baggie with marijuana residue.

He was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was released pending drug charges and held for the liquor charges and warrant, the report said.

Reports compiled by Mark Remillard.

Reach the reporter at mark.remillard@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @markjremillard

×