7 exciting things to do in Phoenix

There’s a common notion that there isn’t much to do near in downtown Phoenix; however, though it may lack the nightlife of Mill Avenue, there’s plenty to do. Here’s a list of fun activities that take place near the Downtown campus:

First Fridays in the Art District

Every first Friday of the month, Roosevelt Row comes to life. The streets are full with live music, food vendors and art at every corner. Many of the art galleries have free food and sometimes they even have free booze! It makes for a great date night or just a night out with your favorite friends.

Sports games

Downtown is home to the Phoenix Suns and the Arizona Diamondbacks. Both teams have promotional college nights. The Suns have tickets for only $5 with a college ID. The Diamondbacks also have select college night games, tickets are only $5 for infield reserve or bleacher tickets for just $15.

Museums

Downtown Phoenix is full of museums! Art museums, science museums, and the children’s museum are among the most popular. The Arizona Science Center is bringing a "Ripely’s Believe It or Not" exhibit in February that is sure to be a hit.

Phoenix Public Market

Every Wednesday evening and Saturday morning you can shop at the Phoenix Public Market, which sells local products and produce. You can also eat at one of the many food trucks that drives up for the bi-weekly event. It is located at 721 N. Central Ave. (P.S. It’s walking distance from the Downtown campus.)

Catch a show at Crescent Ballroom

One of the most popular venues for new bands and indie-rock music, the Crescent Ballroom's atmosphere is great and so is the food! Tickets are reasonably priced, and you’re sure to have a great time.

Stand Up Live

If you like to laugh, you’ll love Stand Up Live. Tuesday through Friday (late show) and Sunday are 18+, all other shows are 21+. The Wayans Brothers from White Chicks will be performing Jan. 24 to 26 and Bob Saget will be in town from Jan. 31 to Feb. 1.

Lucky Strike Bowling

Located at 50 W. Jefferson St in Phoenix, this chic bowling alley adds an extra spice to the traditional game of bowling with big screen TVs, music, tasty food, a bar and bowling of course.

You can reach the reporter at Mercedes.Santana@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @MercedesMS17

×