ASU President Michael Crow addresses University, community involvement in Tempe

ASU President Michael Crow told a room full of community members Wednesday night at the Tempe campus that ASU's involvement within the community would be facilitated through three major areas: individuals, institutions and technology.

The event, organized by Changemaker Central, focused on how individuals within the ASU community are able to directly and indirectly invoke change through various University resources. (Photo by Diana Lustig)
ASU President Michael Crow told a room full of community members Wednesday night at the Tempe campus that ASU's involvement within the community would be facilitated through three major areas: individuals, institutions and technology. The event, organized by Changemaker Central, focused on how individuals within the ASU community are able to directly and indirectly invoke change through various University resources. (Photo by Diana Lustig)

ASU President Michael Crow told a room full of community members Wednesday night at the Tempe campus that ASU's involvement within the community would be facilitated through three major areas: individuals, institutions and technology. The event, organized by Changemaker Central, focused on how individuals within the ASU community are able to directly and indirectly invoke change through various University resources. (Photo by Diana Lustig) ASU President Michael Crow spoke to community members on Jan. 29 at the Tempe campus about ASU's community involvement. The event was organized by Changemaker Central. (Photo by Diana Lustig)

The event, organized by Changemaker Central, focused on how individuals within the ASU community are able to directly and indirectly invoke change through various University resources.

One of the examples Crow gave during the presentation was ASU's Innovation Challenge, an initiative that encourages students to find new ways to make changes in local and global communities.

“Change is a force driven by what we inherit,” Crow said.

Issues that need to be changed include education, health care, quality jobs, infrastructure and energy independence, Crow said. Through the use of individuals, institutions, and technology, ASU hopes to facilitate solutions to emerging issues, he added.

“Can we produce individuals capable of understanding their role in history?” Crow asked.

Great Little Companies, a program that supports student start-ups, is one of the steps the University has taken to effect change, Crow said.

Crow referred to the campus-based program as an example of institutions influencing the community.

One of the University's efforts to impact the community from a technological standpoint is ASU’s Flexible Electronics and Display Center, which creates flexible display screens, Crow said.

In addition, Crow said ASU's expansion to Lake Havasu City helps the University grow its community.

“The University is focused on individuals, institutions and technology,” Crow said.

An introductory clip said that Intel hires more students from ASU than any other university. Joey Hudy, a 16-year-old student at ASU's Gary K. Herberger Young Scholars Academy, is the youngest employee to ever be hired by Intel.

Crow said Arizona community members who have influenced change such as former Sen. Carl T. Hayden and former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor.

“Individuals produce change,” Crow said.

Crow used O’Connor's and Hayden's achievements to encourage the continued pursuit of change and innovation in the state of Arizona.

“How do you figure out what kind of community to make?” Crow asked.

Reach the reporter @ kjonessc@asu.edu or @_KennedyScott

×