ASU swim and dive swept by Cal, Stanford on the road

It wasn't exactly a stroll on the beach for the ASU men's and women's swim and dive teams in California, losing to both California on Friday and Stanford on Saturday.

Friday, the men lost 178-113 to the Golden Bears, and the women dropped their game 229-69. It didn't get much better Saturday; the men lost 135-101, as did the women 148-68.

Despite the tough competition the Sun Devils faced, there were some standout performances throughout the weekend.

Senior swimmer Tristin Baxter dominated her competition in the distance events, finishing first in several events against both Cal and Stanford.

Baxter finished more than five seconds faster than her competition in the 1000 freestyle against Cal. She took first place with a time of 9:55.56.

In Palo Alto, Calif., on Saturday, Baxter again won the 1000 freestyle, finishing with a time of 10:03.32. She also came in first in the 500 freestyle against Stanford with a time of 4:51.21.

Baxter helped contribute to the women’s 400 freestyle relay first-place finish against Stanford. The team’s time was 3:28.17.

On the men’s side, senior Alex Coci claimed first place in two individual events against Cal. His 200 butterfly time was 1:47.92 and his 100 butterfly time was 48.58.

Coci also helped his relay teams become victorious against Stanford. The 200 medley relay started the meet off right with a first place finish and a time of 1:30.25.

Later on in the meet, the men’s 400 freestyle relay finished first with a time of 3:01.76.

The Sun Devil men had strong finishes in the 200 breaststroke against Stanford. Sun Devils finished first, second and third in that event. The top time was sophomore Thibaut Capitaine’s 2:02.32. Following him, sophomore Kyle Sockwell took second with a time of 2:07.55 and junior Zac Dalby took third with a time of 2:09.01.

The Sun Devil diving team had an impressive performance against Cal, taking first place in both the men's and women’s one-meter and three-meter events.

Senior Riley McCormick scored 313.73 in the three-meter and 397.58 in the one-meter events.

Redshirt junior Hailey Casper scored 335.03 in the three-meter and 307.50 in the one-meter.

McCormick and Casper had a harder time against Stanford. They both took second place in the one-meter and three-meter events.

Casper only lost by a few points in the 1-meter event and McCormick lost by less than a point in the 3-meter event.

The Sun Devils are now focusing on preparing for the upcoming Pac-12 Championships, followed by the NCAA Championships.

Some of the divers will also represent their home country and compete in the Canadian National Diving Championships in July.

Reach the report at megan.kavy@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @meggiekavy

×