ASU women's basketball comes up clutch late to beat Colorado

For the second game in a row, the ASU women's basketball team came from behind in the final minute to win a game.

ASU came away with a 68-66 victory over Colorado in Boulder, Colo., on Sunday afternoon.

Redshirt senior guard Deja Mann led the Sun Devils with 17 points and freshman forward Sophie Brunner added 12 points and six rebounds.

Coach Charli Turner Thorne knows how well her team has done in tough situations this season.

"I could not be more proud of this team staying with things," Turner Thorne said.

The Sun Devils (16-3, 6-2 Pac-12) were able to shoot free throws well and take advantage of turnovers on the final two Colorado possessions to grab victory from the jaws of defeat.

The Buffaloes (12-7, 2-6 Pac-12) came in losing six of their previous nine games after winning their first nine games of the year.

Junior forward Jen Reese led the way for Colorado, scoring 22 points, 14 of those coming in the second half.

Senior guard Brittany Wilson scored 12 points and dished out seven assists for the Buffaloes, but her biggest plays came at the end of the game and benefited her opponents.

Wilson was handling the ball with the game tied at 66 with under 30 seconds remaining but, when she tried to go up against junior guard Promise Amukamara, Wilson lost the ball, resulting in a takeaway for ASU that led to the game-winning free throws.

"I think we wore them out," Turner Thorne said. "(Wilson) played 37 minutes. We just worked them."

Senior guard Adrianne Thomas sank two free throws with 4.4 seconds remaining in the game to take a two-point lead that would hold to be the final point differential.

Turner Thorne was excited by her team's play at the end of the game.

"This was a hungry, very talented Colorado team," Turner Thorne said. "Great end of the game defense by Promise and free throws by Adrianne. It was just another great team win."

The Sun Devils will play their next three games at home, starting Friday, Jan. 31, against Oregon State.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger

×