Tempe Police: Man arrested on suspicion of having open container of alcohol in motor vehicle

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Sunday:

• A 31-year-old Mesa man was arrested Dec. 29 on the 1700 block of East University Drive on suspicion of having an open alcohol container in a motor vehicle, according to a police report.

Police contacted the man on a vehicle stop, the report said.

Upon contact, police noted that there was an open and partially full 24-ounce can of Budweiser beer in the cup holder nearest the man, according to the report.

When asked for identification, the man said he did not have identification on him, police said.

The fluid from the can smelled, foamed and looked like an intoxicating beverage, police said.

The man was asked to exit the vehicle, became upset and began to yell, at which time he was placed in handcuffs, according to the report.

The man was patted down and a pipe consistent with a methamphetamine pipe was found in his left front pocket, police reported. It had had burnt residue in the bowl, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges, according to the report.

• A 21-year-old Tempe man was arrested Dec. 29 on the 1900 block of East Hayden Lane on suspicion of possessing marijuana, drug paraphernalia and dangerous drugs for sale, according to a police report.

Police were contacted at a residence on East Hayden Lane at approximately 1:45 a.m. in reference to a family fight, the report said.

Upon arrival, officers on the scene knocked on the door and saw the man throw a small tin container on the ground and then run toward the kitchen. The man then dropped another item inside the trash, police said.

Because of the man's actions, the nature of the call for service of a physical fight and the distinct odor of marijuana coming from the apartment, all three occupants of the apartment were detained, police said.

The three occupants of the apartment said none of them had a medical marijuana card, according to a police report.

A search of the residence revealed a baggy containing a green leafy substance recognized as marijuana on a table inside the living room in plain view, according to the report.

Officers also found a baggy with a black, tar-like substance recognized as heroin, and a baggy containing a white crystal substance recognized as methamphetamine on the kitchen counter and a scale located in the kitchen trash, where the man was seen throwing an item, according to a police report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held pending charges, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Joey Hancock

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @joey_hancock

×