Tempe Police reported the following incident Tuesday:

• An 18-year-old Tempe man was arrested Dec. 27 on the 500 block of West Parkway Boulevard on suspicion of trafficking in stolen property, according to a police report.

Police contacted the man after receiving a call from someone who said he had found his stolen bicycle on a Craigslist ad, police reported.

The victim had his black and red bike stolen from his home in Chandler and had filled out a report with Chandler police, according to the report.

The man told the victim he would sell him the bike for $1,500 and agreed to meet him at a Circle K on Broadway Road, police said.

The victim alerted police that the man said he would be wearing a black and red jacket and would be standing next to the bike. When officers arrived they located a man matching the description immediately, according to the report.

Officers detained the man after they verified the serial number was the same the victim had given Chandler Police, the report said.

The man told police he traded his mountain bike a couple of days before for the victim’s bicycle, police said.

The man said after realizing the victim’s bike was worth about $3,000 he figured it was stolen, but a bike store told him that it was not in their system, according to the report.

When officers asked him why he did not check with police if he thought the bike was stolen, the man said he did not “think of it,” police said.

The man said he had placed the ad on Craigslist because he wanted to make a profit to pay his court fines, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail where he was booked and held to see a judge, the report said.

Reports compiled by Dulce Paloma Baltazar Pedraza

Reach the reporter at dpbaltaz@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @dpalomabp

×