Tempe Police: Man with box cutter threatens Mill Avenue bar

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

• A 27-year old Phoenix man was arrested Jan. 12 on the 500 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, threatening and intimidation, disorderly conduct/fighting and third degree criminal trespassing, according to a police report.The man approached a bouncer working at Gringo Star Street Bar, asked if he had served in the military, and when the bouncer replied that he had not, the man then threatened to knock him out with two punches, according to the report.

The bouncer tried to calm the man down, but the man grabbed a can of pepper spray from his pocket and held it to the bouncer's face, police said.

After the bouncer called for assistance from his fellow bouncers, they managed to escort him out of the bar, according to the report.

The man refused to leave the property after being asked five times, police reported.

He brandished a silver box cutter knife and motioned his hands as he repeatedly opened and closed the knife while he motioned for the bouncers to approach him, police said.

Police responded to the establishment and located the man while he was attempting to flee the scene on foot in the middle of Fifth Street, where he was found with box cutter in hand and subsequently arrested without further incident, the report said.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked, police said.

• A 54-year old Phoenix man was arrested Jan. 10 on the 400 block of West University Drive on suspicion of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.Police contacted the man during a routine traffic stop for a civil traffic violation, police said.

When police approached the mans vehicle, an odor of marijuana permeated from within the car, police reported.

After police asked him about the smell, the man said he had been smoking marijuana shortly before the traffic stop, according to the report.

The man submitted to field sobriety tests and was observed for multiple clues of impairment and was then placed under arrest for driving under the influence of drugs, police said.

A search of the vehicle resulted in the discovery of marijuana in a Ziploc bag and a glass pipe with marijuana residue inside of it, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was examined by a drug recognition expert and submitted to blood tests, police said.

The man was then booked and held on the drug-related charges, according to the report.

Reach the reporter at ahalleck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @adam_halleck

×