Top 10 anticipated films of 2014

With a new year comes new films to anticipate. When you need a break from countless hours of homework and studying, take a few hours to go to your local cinema. Here is a list of 10 highly anticipated films in 2014:

"The Monuments Men" (Feb. 7)

George Clooney directs and acts in this film about a platoon of museum curators recovering stolen art from the Nazis in World War II. The all star cast also includes Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Jean Dujardin, Bob Balaban, Hugh Bonneville and Cate Blanchett.

"The Grand Budapest Hotel" (March 7)

Wes Anderson brings us a story of a well-known hotel concierge, Gustave (Ralph Fiennes), who works at a famous hotel. He also acquires high-priced paintings after the former owner dies. The twist? The former owner was one of Gustave’s prior one-night stands. So who killed her and why did Gustave get the paintings?

"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" (May 2)

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone return to star in the sequel to the 2012 super hero film. Peter Parker returns to battle Electro (Jamie Foxx) and The Rhino (Paul Giamatti). It’s been rumored that perhaps the Green Goblin may also make an appearance to battle Spider-Man. Marvel will also be releasing "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," "X-Men: Days of Future Past" and "Guardians of the Galaxy."

"Maleficent" (May 30)

Angelina Jolie stars as the terrifying villain from the Disney classic “Sleeping Beauty.” This tale is told from the perspective of the dragon-transforming Maleficent and what it is that converted her into the villain that cursed the young Princess Aurora. This is a must-see for my fellow Disney enthusiasts.

"The Giver" (Aug. 15)

If you were not required to read the novel in grade school, this story is about a young boy that lives in a “perfect” world. It is a world without war, pain, suffering, differences, or even color. He learns from an elderly man what the “real” world once one, with all its pains and pleasures. Jeff Bridges will play The Giver, and Meryl Streep will be playing Chief Elder. Taylor Swift is also in the film playing the role of Rosemary.

"Interstellar" (Nov. 7)

Christopher Nolan returns to direct his first film since "The Dark Knight Rises" in this cosmos traveling sci-fi feature. The film is about a group of space explorers that discover travel through a wormhole. Little information as been given about Interstellar, but we do know that Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway are going to play explorers that discover the other forms of galaxy travel.

"The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1" (Nov. 21)

The bar may have been set high after "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire," but with the return of director Francis Lawrence and Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Lawrence, chances are this will be another hit. This is the first of the two-part finale to the book trilogy.

"The Hobbit: There And Back Again" (Dec. 17)

The final film of The Hobbit series will tell the journey as the company of Thorin finally reaches Smaug’s lair. Can they reclaim Erebor and the treasure? If you didn’t read the book, go check out the movie to see how it ends, or just because you love The Hobbit.

"Into the Woods" (Dec. 25)

Disney brings back to life Stephen Sondheim’s classic musical of "Into the Woods" the coming Christmas. This super star cast features Johnny Depp as The Wolf, Anna Kendrick as Cinderella, Chris Pine as Prince Charming, Emily Blunt as The Baker’s Wife and Meryl Streep as The Witch.

"Magic in the Moonlight" (unknown)

Woody Allen will deliver yet again another film that he has written, directed, and acted in. The upcoming film will be a romantic comedy set in 1920s French Riviera. It stars Emma Stone, Colin Firth and Marcia Gay Harden.

Reach the reporter at Mercedes.Santana@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @MercedesMS17

×