ASU water polo focusing on defense

After going 3-2 last weekend at the UC Santa Barbara tournament, the ASU water polo team is working on improving its defense.

The Sun Devils (3-2) are preparing for this weekend's tournament at UC San Diego by focusing on what they did not execute last weekend.

“There were so many new things coming at the team for the last tournament, and things just didn’t really come together,” coach Todd Clapper said.

download-022114  

Clapper said the team didn’t gel together as well as they could have. The team is particularly focused on its defense with Clapper seeing improvements in the last week in practice. The team also has been working on six-on-fives.

He said the team has seen a lot of progress in these trouble areas and is almost ready for its weekend.

“It’s always the goal that what you’re working on in practice and what you’re doing in practice can translate when the pressure comes on, and you’re able to come together and execute,” Clapper said.

Clapper said the coaching staff is very confident that they players are ready for their second tournament of the season.

“It’s just a matter of them, when the pressure’s on, coming together and doing the things the way we’ve done them in practice,” Clapper said.

At UC Santa Barbara, the team won three matches with two close losses. It started off the weekend by defeating Asuza Pacific 17-2. Then it defeated Cal State Monterey Bay 23-2 and UC Santa Barbara 11-6.

The Sun Devils first loss came against UC San Diego by one point: 12-11. Their second loss came against UC Irvine with a score of 9-6.

After working hard in practice this past week, the team is prepared for the weekend. Its defense and six-on-fives have made improvements in just a weeks time.

“The rest, in terms of wins and everything, should take care of itself,” Clapper said.

Reach the reporter at mkavy@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @meggiekavy

×