ASU wrestling spoils Cal Poly homecoming

ASU wrestling defeated Cal Poly at the Mott Athletics Center in San Luis Obispo on Friday night, once again relying on the core of middle-to-upper weights in decisive 24-15 win.

The Mustangs (3-9, 1-4 Pac-12) didn't make it easy for the visiting Sun Devils (8-7, 3-1 Pac-12) on their homecoming and senior night, also welcoming their 1973-74 Division II National Championship team to celebrate its 40th anniversary.

Eager to defend their turf, sixth-place Cal Poly came out firing, as senior Britain Longmire (125) handed sophomore No. 24 Ares Carpio a rare 5-2 loss. ASU was shut out, and trailed by as many as 12 until sophomore Matt Kraus (133) pinned in freshman Victor Trujillo in 3:24.

download-022114

After junior Preston McCalmon (149) lost to senior Kyle Chene 4-2, ASU would only surrender one more match to the Mustangs.

Major decisions from junior Joel Smith (157) over Xavier Johnson, senior Nick Rex (165) over freshman Travis Berridge and sophomore No. 20 Blake Stauffer over redshirt freshman Kent Beecham were among the many highlights for ASU on the night, part of a four match win streak within the Cal Poly dual. In the three major decisions, the Sun Devils outscored the Mustangs 41-7.

There were few wrinkles in ASU's performance Saturday night, as redshirt sophomore Kalin Goodsite (133) was pinned early (1:13) to sophomore Devon Lotito, and sophomore Wesley Moore (197) lost in a 5-3 nailbiter to freshman Nicolas Johnson.

ASU coach Shawn Charles had emphasized the importance of earning bonus points, and his integration this idea into the mindset of the Sun Devil wrestlers is evident given their success on the mat both at Wells Fargo Arena and on the road.

While the win against Cal Poly was a far cry from their last road trip at the Virginia Duals, (which included a loss to Chattanooga and a win over Old Dominion) the Sun Devils have strived to maintain a standard of success all season.

ASU looks to complete the sweep of their two Southern California Pac-12 foes on Sunday night.

Pac-12 briefs: —The Stanford Cardinal were idle after beating Cal Poly and South Dakota State on Sunday the 9th, but they managed to jump three spots to No. 22, setting up a showdown versus No. 23 Northwestern in Evanston on Sunday.

—Conference-leading Oregon State slid to No. 25 after falling to ASU last weekend, as the Beavers head to the National Duals in Columbus, Ohio on Sunday and Monday.

—Boise State was slated to take on OSU at home on Feb. 7; the match was canceled due to winter weather and flight delays. No make-up date has been determined.

—CSU Bakersfield was crushed by No. 7 Oklahoma State in Stillwater 36-7 on Feb. 9. The Runners will host ASU in their second dual of the road trip, and Pac-12 regular season finale at the Icardo Center Sunday night, 6 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at smodrich@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @StefanJModrich

×