Blue Man Group makes a splash at Gammage

(Photo Courtesy of  Paul Kolnik)
(Photo Courtesy of Paul Kolnik)

(Photo Courtesy of  Paul Kolnik) (Photo Courtesy of Paul Kolnik)
Blue Man Group’s opening night at Gammage was a full house. The packed theater had people of all ages a true testament to the all-inclusive entertainment founded by Matt Goldman, Phil Stanton and Chris Wink.

Despite a late start to the show, the crowd was in high spirits as they waited for the famous trio, and they were more than worth the wait. Notorious for their over-the-top, visually stunning and technology-driven appearances, Blue Man Group surpassed the expectations of spectators as they delivered a show that was unparalleled.

Indisputably, one of the group’s most alluring qualities is its inventive and original musical productions. Last night was no exception as the ground shook from the mere power of the band's makeshift instruments, including the Drumbone, that followed a short video on what unites us all as humans — indoor plumbing.

The video design created by Blue Man Group along with Caryl Glaab is sensational. Using a “GiPad” (giant iPad), they played apps, watched videos and immersed themselves in the iPad donning costumes that had the crowd laughing. A short video declared photo receptors in the human eye to be “the hellawhack shiznit that happen inside your brizzle” as they drummed along to the music.

Blue Man Group is intent on including the audience in their show, which is amusing considering the men do not talk. Jumping from seat to seat in the theater and bringing audience members on stage, the blue men interacted with fans throughout the night. Sharing a Twinkie dinner with a woman and transforming a man in the audience to a human paintbrush, the audience members left with priceless keepsakes from their time on stage with the group.

Encouraging everyone to stand up and dance, the grand finale was a euphoric experience that united the audience in a colorful and surreal dance party. Playing electronic dance music and tossing enormous balls into the audience that changed colors before spraying the room down with crepe paper, the percussionists made Gammage a rave in which all were involved in the musical artistry that is until the announcer requested, “Please give us our balls back” inducing laughter.

Attending a Blue Man Group show is a bucket list must. The blue men will be at Gammage until March 2. Buy your tickets here or at the Gammage box office.

Reach the reporter at jurgiles@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @MrsMathers94

×