John Malkovich superior in book-to-film adaptations

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez. Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

My senior year of high school may have been better titled as, "The Year of John Malkovich." As the protagonist of both films, "Of Mice and Men" and "The Glass Menagerie," he seemed to appear when our class thought we saw the last of him.

John_Malkovich,1994_02.jpg

When I found out that he co-produced the movie version of "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," my ears perked up a bit in fascination. Immediately, as I usually do with actors, I looked him up on the Internet Movie Database. I discovered that he has been featured in various movies. The part that stood out to me is that so many of the movies were once books.  

Not the obscure books that you didn't know were books before the movie, but fairly well-known books and classics.

These include: "Secretariat," "Beowulf," "Eragon," "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," and "Death of a Salesman." He even starred in a "Les Miserables" television series as Javert.

I like to think of him now as the superior of bridging the book-movie gap, and I am excited to see what he has in store next.

How do you feel about John Malkovich? Is there anyone else you think could be that "connoisseur"? You can reach the writer at arabusa@asu.edu or on Twitter @marie_eo.

×