Tempe Police: Man beats woman with lumber

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

• A 59-year-old man was arrested Friday on the 400 block of West Baseline Road on suspicion of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, according to a police report.

Officers responded to the man's residence after an investigation revealed that he had assaulted his girlfriend, with whom he lives, the report said.

The man hit the woman with a leather belt on her buttocks and then chased her outside of their residence with a three-foot long piece of cut lumber and hit her several times with the piece of lumber in view of witnesses, the report said.

The woman had bruises on the back of her left leg and one on her arm but did not require medical attention, the report said.

The woman told police she was hit by both the belt and the piece of lumber during the incident, and a witness reported seeing the man hit the woman with a piece of wood outside their residence, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, the report said.

• A 23-year-old man was arrested Friday on the 800 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of failing to appear on a Maricopa County Sheriff Office Superior Court warrant, marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

The man was found in front of the CVS located on the 800 block of South Mill Avenue sitting on the ground with all of his personal belongings, according to the report.

The CVS had asked Tempe Police to conduct extra patrols in front of the store because of recent trends in theft and drug use in front of the business, the report said.Upon contacting the man, officers found a small burnt marijuana joint in his left hand and the man said he had found it, the report said.

Officers conducted a warrant check and found the man had a felony warrant for his arrest out of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office for marijuana possession, according to the report.

Officers arrested the man and searched his belongings, finding a plastic sandwich bag with marijuana and flower seeds mixed together, police reported.

The man told officers the joint they had found was his and he had been smoking it earlier, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held on his MCSO warrant and released pending his drug charges, police said.

Reports compiled by Joey Hancock

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @joey_hancock

×