Tempe Police: Serial shoplifter hits local Target

Tempe Police reported the following incident Wednesday:

• A 34-year-old Tempe man was arrested Jan. 23 on the 1700 block of East Broadway Road on suspicion of shoplifting, failure to appear in court and being a fugitive from justice, according to a police report.

Police contacted the man after loss prevention personnel at Target observed him shoplifting at the Tempe Marketplace location, police said.

The man was seen stealing two wireless headphones, valued at $250 each, from a display, the report said.

After placing the headphones in his backpack, the man walked past all points of sale and out of the store and made no attempts to purchase them, police said.

The man then entered a silver car and fled the scene, according to the report.

Officers on the 1400 block of South McClintock Road responded to the call, the report said.

Police caught up with the man and were able to stop him in a parking lot on the 1700 block of East Broadway Road, police said.

Three other men in his car, none of whom had any knowledge of the shoplifting, were in the man's car, the report said.

Police ran the man’s information and found that he had two outstanding warrants, one through Tempe Police and one through Mesa Police, according to the report. They confirmed that both were still active, police said.

The man was detained and told police the headphones were in the backpack inside his vehicle, the report said.

A criminal background check showed that the man had three prior shoplifting convictions, police said.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held, according to the report.

Report compiled by Adam Halleck

Reach the reporter at ahalleck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @adam_halleck

×