Why writing is a viable career

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.
Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez. Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

It was early 2010 when I began seriously considering what I wanted to do with my life. That is, what I wanted as a career.

I reflected on my interests and scanned through pages of college majors. I didn't want to enter college as "undecided." I was always the girl with a plan, always doing something. I had already gotten to the point in high school, senior year, where I knew that I would graduate. I figured I had a decent chance at being accepted to the colleges to which I applied. Choosing a path for the rest of my life was the challenge.

It is 2014, and I have chosen to pursue a degree in political science.

"Oh, so do you think you could be the first female president?" is a question I get a lot. Or, "I hope that when you become a politician, you can help straighten out our government!"

I don't plan to be a politician. In fact, here, a year away from graduation, all I know is that I would like to help people and that I love literature.

My degree will lead me to great places, and I believe it. But there is always the nagging feeling of "All I want to do is read and write."

It seems that everywhere I turn, the concept of having a writing career is met with skepticism. Not even a friend's encouragement seems to combat that societal perception.

And yet, I remain positive. Writing is an inelastic commodity in our society, and literature falls into every aspect of our lives.

Even in the age of technology, there are so many opportunities to write, and a multitude of creative platforms: blogging, online fiction and other media.

As far as my future career plans go, I am looking into freelance writing at the moment. Publishing a book is on my bucket list, and I am considering writing a children's book.

I talk about the magic of literature and writing a lot (I'm basically in love with literature), and I truly believe in it. Let's stay positive, creative friends, and prove the skeptics wrong.

You can reach the writer at arabusa@asu.edu, or on Twitter @marie_eo.

×