Admiral Stavridis promotes literature as essential tool for social development

Photo by Marie Rabusa
Photo by Marie Rabusa

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez. Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

ASU's School of Philosophy hosted Adm. James G. Stavridis this month in a lecture called "Life, Literature, and Leadership." He is a retired four-star admiral, and the current Dean of Tufts' Fletcher School of International Affairs. He attended the Naval Academy in Annapolis where he studied... literature.

It's as counterintuitive as walking into the lecture on Thursday night behind a long line of ROTC students in uniform. It was a happy juxtaposition to experience. A cross-breed of military science and literature.

Photo by Marie Rabusa Photo by Marie Rabusa

The largest lesson to take away from Adm. Stavridis' presentation was to create bridges, where we may otherwise build walls and barriers. The room, where we sat and learned of books and their impact on the world, was symbolic of this message.

He encouraged us all to become better leaders under the influence of literature. Literature is as relevant as ever, and it is one of our strongest resources in the world today.

You can read this blog post for further information about the admiral's connection to literature.

×