ASU proposes no 2014-15 tuition increase for in-state undergraduates

Out-of-state and graduate tuition would increase by 3 percent.

ABOR

The Arizona Board of Regents held a meeting to discuss University issues at the Memorial Union on the Tempe campus Thursday afternoon.

ASU proposed a 3 percent tuition increase for all graduate students and out-of-state undergraduate students and none for in-state students in an official release Thursday.

The university also officially recommended that the Board of Regents approve a $150-per-year athletic fee. The fee was originally proposed by ASU's four campus undergraduate student governments and the Graduate and Professional Student Association in the fall and is meant to help fix a $10 million deficit in the athletics department.

If the tuition proposal is approved by the Arizona Board of Regents on April 3, it would raise tuition for out-of-state undergraduates on the four Valley campuses, which cost $23,654 in the 2013-14 year, by between $624 and $694. Out-of-state undergraduates attending ASU at Lake Havasu, who pay $9,508, would see their tuition increase by $278.

In-state graduate students would pay at least $11,128, and out-of-state graduate students would pay at least $20,248.

A full breakdown of proposed tuition changes in different campuses and programs is available in the official proposal.

ASU also proposed a 4 percent tuition increase per credit hour for online students.

ABOR will set tuition rates for ASU, NAU and UA at its April 3 meeting in Tucson. NAU uses a four-year pledge system which maintains tuition for all undergraduates during their first four years at the school and has requested a 2.6 percent increase for incoming freshman. UA proposed a 2 percent increase for all in-state students and a 5 percent increase for all out-of-state students.

ASU students will be able to share comments with the board at a public forum in the Memorial Union from 5-7 p.m. on March 25.

Reach the managing editor at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×