ASU water polo coach Todd Clapper receives coaching award

ASU water polo head coach Todd Clapper has coached at ASU for nine years. Last season, the Sun Devils, led by Clapper, won 26 games.

That is the most games an ASU water polo team has ever won in a season in the program's history.

Because of Clapper's success as a coach last season, USA Water Polo chose Clapper to receive the Sandy Nitta Distinguished Women's Coaching Award.

This award is an honor for which Clapper said he is grateful to have been selected.

He is especially grateful to receive an award with Sandy Nitta's name on it.

"It's really nice that I'm receiving this award in her name," Clapper said. "She's done so much for women's water polo."

He said he hopes to add this award to a long list of accomplishments he hopes to receive throughout his career.

"It's definitely something I'll be able to go back and reflect on in the future," he said.

Clapper said he was coached by one of water polo's greats, Doc Hunkler, at Slippery Rock University, and he said the award means a lot to him because of Hunkler's success with women's water polo.

At this point in time, Clapper said the award is nice, but he's trying to focus on the teams upcoming events.

"It's really hard to sit back and enjoy anything right now because of all the things we're focusing on," he said.

Clapper will receive his award at the USA Water Polo annual Hall of Fame Induction and National Awards Dinner on April 5.

The team has earned seven All-American awards in just two seasons, and it was ranked fourth in the CWPA Coaches Poll, which was its highest ranking in history. Reach the reporter at mkavy@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @meggiekavy

×