Dayton is most surprising team of upset-filled March Madness

March Madness has only just begun, and so far, basically everyone’s bracket is done.

The tournament has been nothing but “madness” thus far with several upsets.

To me, the most surprising upsets of the tournament have involved No. 11-seed Dayton.

Dayton certainly surprised many people by defeating No. 6-seed Ohio State 60-59 in the Round of 64.

The game was close the entire time and Dayton pulled through in the last 10 seconds of the game to win.

If you're the underdog and you're going to win, that's how you do it.

Dayton's Cinderella ride didn't end there. The Flyers went on to defeat No. 3-seed Syracuse 55-53 to advance to the Sweet 16.

Dayton's defense was strong and held Syracuse to another close game.

The Flyers were up by two with two seconds left when a Syracuse shot missed to give Dayton the win.

Dayton’s president, Daniel Curran, even crowd surfed through a sea of students after the team won. Clearly, everyone was celebrating.

Some say the Dayton victories have been purely luck. I believe the Flyers probably did get lucky in some instances, but they still worked hard all season to take themselves to their first Sweet 16 in 30 years.

Up next for Dayton is 10-seed Stanford, a team that has had its fare share of upsets already, knocking off two-seed Kansas and seven-seed New Mexico.

I’d like to say I support the Pac-12 and am rooting for Stanford, but I’m kind of on board with the crowd-surfing President thing.

My bracket is basically destroyed anyway.

Reach the columnist at Megan.Kavy@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @meggiekavy

×