Jahii Carson should reconsider his future

After the ASU men's basketball team defeated California on Saturday afternoon, sophomore guard Jahii Carson made an announcement that every Sun Devil supporter knew was coming: that he is going to declare for June's NBA Draft.

After a breakout freshman season, Carson has seen a decline in numbers across the board, causing many in the basketball community to reconsider his level of readiness to make the next step.

Carson has had a hard time going to his left, and his low free throw percentage has caused questions about his league-readiness. In addition, Carson's lack of height contributes to the fact that he has a hard time passing when being guarded by taller defenders and out of double teams.

Because Carson's game is predicated on him getting to the rim and drawing fouls, his relatively low shooting and free throw percentages will allow the quicker NBA defenders to cheat right and sag off a bit in order to make him beat them with a jump shot, something Carson has shown is not likely.

Carson has steadily dropped down in mock drafts, having him be a nearly exclusive second-round selection from every perspective.

This all being said, it would benefit Carson for him to return to Tempe for another season, hone his skills and enter a less competitive draft class after next season.

Reach the columnist at mtonis@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger

×