Literature to celebrate St. Patrick's Day

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez. Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

The end of spring break has finally arrived (sadly), and we're forced to return to reality. However, we're fortunate to have one more holiday to celebrate, hopefully before getting back to classes. It's St. Patrick's Day, a holiday celebrated with kegs of beer, leprechaun outfits and strands of green and gold beads.

400px-Happy_St._Patrick's_Day_from_Boston's_Southie.jpg

It's all tons of fun, but I am not the biggest partier in the world. A "Marie" party, especially on a Monday, consists of nerdy, homey pleasures. Books, more books, and a little bit of history. History, which I often discover in books. I'm sensing a trend here.

I've read a few books by Irish writers before, such as "Room" by Emma Donoghue, with one of the most unique plots I've ever read. It's the story of a little boy whose life is spent in the Room. He learns to read and write with his mother in this room, and believes he is learning to interact too. This 5-year-old perspective is innocent and naive, not understanding the imprisonment he and his mother face.

Irish writers, like Emma Donoghue, are innovative in their pieces. In fact, the Nobel Prize for Literature has been awarded to a good number of Irish writers, Irish poets and playwrights.

George Bernard Shaw and William Butler Yeats are some notable Irish poets on the Nobel Prize list.

Above all, the most appropriate book to read today is John Skinner's translation of "The Confession of St. Patrick." The book consists of his two surviving letters. Through the autobiographical work of St. Patrick, we have the opportunity to learn about his life and the fifth century society he experienced.

Perhaps you can don some green and gold beads, open a bottle of beer and curl up with some amazing Irish literature. Sounds akin to something I will probably do to participate in the festivities. Maybe I'll play "P.S. I Love You" in the background and listen to some lovely Irish, Gerard Butler romance.

What are you planning to do to celebrate the holiday? You can reach the writer at arabusa@asu.edu or on Twitter @marie_eo.

×