Local events to entertain students on break

Staying at ASU over spring break? There is a multitude of things to do, aside from, of course, finally sleeping in and indulging in down time.

Staying at ASU during spring break is a good option for those who feel they need some time to themselves or simply can’t afford a plane ticket home. Cheap events don't necessarily mean you're guaranteed to have less of a good time. In fact they could potentially make for some of your favorite memories of the spring semester.

1. The Arizona Science Center in downtown Phoenix will be hosting what they call "Unbelievable Spring Break" with "16 days of outrageous and crazy fun" science events. They will have hands-on activities that revolve around the sun, a beach party that lasts three days and their newest exhibit “US Airways Flight Zone.”

All of the spring break events at the Arizona Science Center are free with admission. Learn more at azscience.org.

2. If science isn’t your forte, consider laying out in the sun at the brand new downtown Phoenix rooftop pool at the ASU Fitness Complex, exclusively built for students. Enjoy some good music, the Arizona UV rays and a beautiful view of the metropolitan area. The pool hours are 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.? on Saturday and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday.

3. If you enjoy the music scene, there will be multiple concerts going on in Tempe and downtown Phoenix throughout spring break.

VIVA PHX, a music festival with over 70 bands, will take place in downtown Phoenix on Friday, March 5. Notable acts such as YACHT, Pinback, Blackalicious and Bogan Via are included in the line-up. Tickets are $25 the day of the festival, but given the wide array of artists to see and venues to visit, the cost is well worth it. Visit vivaphx.com for further ticket information.

The Marquee in Tempe will be hosting five concerts over the course of ASU's week-long break as well. Some performing artists include The Expendables and Eblem3.

Rebelution and Atmosphere will be visiting Tempe Beach Park on Saturday, March 15, along with Pepper, Iration and many other performers. This show will surely be the epitome of a spring break concert. Luckymanonline.com has more information about the shows.

If none of these things sound at all appealing to you or you plan to catch up on sleep and relax, you’re not alone.

Criminal justice freshman David Vega said he’s excited to be able to rest for a little bit.

“I’ll probably watch Netflix and play video games,” he said.

Mechanical Engineering freshman Robert Bambarger said he had the same idea as Vega.

“I have a job so I will be there most of the day,” Bambarger said. “Then just hang out with friends and maybe try to go somewhere cool like the lake or hiking.”

Hiking is a great alternative if you don’t feel like spending any money on activities this break or if you don’t like working out in a gym environment. Piestewa Peak, Camelback and even “A Mountain” are great places to hike in the Phoenix and Tempe areas, as they make for a fun, and relatively easy workout.

Staying at school over spring break may not sound extremely intriguing at first, but there are so many phenomenal Valley events to attend. If you’re staying at ASU this break, even if it’s not the entire time, be sure to catch up on your sleep and check these activities out.

Reach the reporter at danielle.kernkamp@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @danikernkamp

×