Meet your student government presidential candidates

(Photo Courtesy of Ryan Olkes)
(Photo Courtesy of Ryan Olkes)

Tempe

(Photo Courtesy of Emily (Photo Courtesy of Emily McCaleb)

Emily McCaleb is a junior at the W. P. Carey School of Business majoring in business management and entrepreneurship. McCaleb was involved in Undergraduate Student Government as an intern during her sophomore year and was promoted to Executive Chief of Staff in the fall of 2013.

Her platform includes syllabi access, budget transparency, USG Senate collaboration, an innovative staff hiring process, a state of the students address with monthly video updates, updated open forums with ASU President Michael Crow, athletics fee open forums with Athletic Director Ray Anderson, a stable tuition model, an ASU good samaritan law, safety escorts during finals, an improvement to the functionality of the USG website and increased sustainability initiatives.

Photo Courtesy of Nick Parra  (Photo Courtesy of Nicolas Parra)

Nicolas Parra is a junior at the W.P. Carey School of Business and is a USG senator. He has been involved in more than 15 clubs and organizations on campus including Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity, Devils’ Advocates, the Business School Council and the Medallion Scholarship Program council.

Parra’s platform includes a new myASU tab controlled by the students, Super Bowl 2015 engagement, a Sun Devil student advocacy network, various campus improvements including charging stations, greek housing advocacy, diversity through cohesion and a more transparent fee process.

(Photo Courtesy of Cassidy (Photo Courtesy of Cassidy Possehl)

Cassidy Possehl is a junior in Barrett, the Honors College studying genetics and cell development biology. Possehl has been involved on campus as a member of Camp Kesem, Alpha Phi Omega, Chi Omega and USG.

Possehl’s platform includes The Inferno, a website to address and enhance student engagement, more involvement with the Tempe City Council, improved health services for students living on campus, more transparency involving student fees, an enhanced game day experience, a student clubs and organizations center, a bi-monthly student forum where students can voice their opinion and better veteran student benefits.

Downtown

(Photo Courtesy of Frank Smith) (Photo Courtesy of Frank Smith III)

Sitting USGD President Frank Smith III is a sophomore studying public policy. During his term, he has eliminated the equipment fee at the Sun Devil Fitness Complex, attained weekend shuttles for next year and has helped keep the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication open 24 hours a day.

Smith’s platform includes advocating for affordability on the behalf of ASU students, creating positive connections between the Downtown campus and the local community, troubleshooting safety issues at the downtown location, better informing students on policies that affect them, optimizing USGD's internal structure and helping to nurture connections between student organizations and USGD.

(Photo Courtesy of Alexis Kramer) (Photo Courtesy of Alexis Kramer-Ainza)

Alexis Kramer-Ainza is a sophomore at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and serves as a USGD senator.

Kramer-Ainza’s platform includes a new and improved OrgSync system called PitchFinder, more charging stations around campus, more involvement in student organizations and student government and engagement with Super Bowl XLIX.

Polytechnic

(Photo Courtesy of Ryan (Photo Courtesy of Ryan Olkes)

Ryan Olkes is a junior majoring in graphic information technology and is the Senate President of USGP. He has worked closely with the executive board and past USG presidents, which he said has helped him understand what it means to be the president of the Polytechnic campus.

West

(Photo Courtesy of Howard (Photo Courtesy of Howard Waldie IV)

Howard Waldie IV is a junior studying political science through New College and Barrett, the Honors College. He has been involved with Undergraduate Student Government since fall 2011 and serves as the president of the West campus.

RusoL is the president and founder of the Arab American Association Club, chairwoman of the advisory health committee and wants to enhance the students health awareness on campus.

Graduate and Professional Student Association

(Photo Courtesy of German (Photo Courtesy of German Cadenas)

German Cadenas is a third-year Ph.D. student in counseling psychology. He has been in leadership within GPSA for three years and said he knows the organization well and has a vision for continuing its commitment to the students.

Cadenas’ platform includes listening to students' needs and wants and using that input to keep what is working and improve what can be improved upon.

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @joey_hancock

×