Tempe Police: Man contacted on bike theft, has 'spice' drug on him

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

• Tempe Police arrested a 25-year-old Phoenix man March 20 at the corner of West Third Street and South Mill Avenue on suspicion of being a fugitive from justice, failure to appear and dangerous drugs and drug paraphernalia possession and use, according to a police report.

The man was originally contacted concerning a possible bike theft, though the investigation soon concluded that the bike actually belonged to him, the report said.

A search of his person revealed a baggie containing a drug known as "spice" in the coin pocket of his pants and a “one hitter” in his front shirt pocket, police said.

The man told the officer that his bag contained a hypodermic needle in a case. When the officer found the needle, the man told him he had used the needle to ingest heroin in the past, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, the report said.

Tempe Police arrested a 36-year-old Phoenix man March 17 outside a bar on the 600 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of disorderly conduct and being a fugitive from justice, according to a police report.

Security at Zuma Grill flagged down police concerning a man inside who was harassing other patrons, the report said.

When officers contacted the man, they saw he was extremely intoxicated, harassing the other patrons on the dance floor and attempting to start a fight with them, police said.

The man refused to leave the bar on his own and was subsequently carried outside by a uniformed security officer, police reported.

Once outside, the man refused to leave and stood in the main entrance of the bar, blocking other customers from entering or exiting, the report said.

Several of the bar employees had to stop their normal duties to deal with the suspect and Zuma Grill has indicated their willingness in prosecution, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges, the report said.

Reports compiled by David Hignutt

Contact the reporter at dhignutt@asu.edu or follow him on twitter @davidhignutt

×