ASU student attended fraternity party before falling from Tempe apartment complex

Nonprofit leadership and management freshman Naomi McClendon attended a party hosted by an ASU fraternity with a history of violations before falling to her death Sunday morning, Tempe Police said Thursday.

Tempe Police Spokeswoman Molly Enright said McClendon and her friends attended a party hosted by Alpha Epsilon Pi on Saturday night on the 4100 block of South Jentilly Lane, approximately 3 and a half miles from the Tempe campus.

ASU fraternity Alpha Epsilon Pi hosted the party and charged guests an entrance fee of three women or $30 to drink.

After leaving the party, McClendon and friends went to 922 Place, a student apartment complex near the Tempe campus. Security video from the complex showed her straddling the railing of a balcony on the 10th floor and falling around 2:40 a.m.

This is not the first time Alpha Epsilon Pi has had trouble with the University. ASU banned alcohol in the fraternity's on-campus house in August 2008 after Tempe Police were unable to shut down a "bring your own beer" party.

It then revoked the fraternity's recognition in the 2010-11 academic year after a pledge reported hazing that included forcing pledges to engage in sexual acts with strippers.

The chapter's national organization stepped in in early 2011, removing most sophomores, juniors and senior to ensure a fresh start.

Check back with The State Press for more updates.

Reach the reporter at chelsey.ballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @chelseyballarte

×