ASU wrestling coach Shawn Charles resigns

ASU coach Shawn Charles directs his team during the 2010 NCAA Championships. (Photo Courtesy of ASU Media Relations)

ASU coach Shawn Charles directs his team during the 2010 NCAA Championships. (Photo Courtesy of ASU Media Relations) ASU coach Shawn Charles directs his team during the 2010 NCAA Championships. (Photo Courtesy of ASU Media Relations)

ASU wrestling coach Shawn Charles has resigned, the University announced Wednesday.

Charles' resignation comes less than two weeks after redshirt sophomore Blake Stauffer made a surprising run in the NCAA wrestling tournament.

Although Charles is stepping down, ASU won't be cutting the program again.

"There's a double-edged sword to this whole profession; there's good and bad," Charles said. "I'm really appreciative that (athletic director) Ray Anderson kept the program and is going to put the resources (toward) getting another head coach in there."

Charles said because of his former involvement with the program, he wanted it to be in the right hands.

"As an alumni there, former wrestler, you get to the point where you don't know if you can actually take (the program) to where (ASU) wants it," Charles said. "It just seemed like the right thing to do, to resign and let someone else take over at the helm."

Anderson gave a statement on Charles' resignation in a press release.

“We thank Coach Charles for the contributions he has given to his alma mater during his tenure,” Anderson said in the press release. “We will launch a national search immediately for his successor. Our wrestling program has enjoyed success as one of the premier programs in the country and we are intent on regaining that status going forward.”

Charles took over the head coaching duties at his alma mater five seasons ago in 2009. Since then, the Sun Devils have had two winning seasons (2009 and 2014), and amassed a total record of 38-49 in dual meets.

ASU hasn't finished higher than third place in any Pac-12 tournament since Charles took over.

Reach the reporter at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EvanWebeck

×