Grimy Biker Music

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.
Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez. Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

I think it’s really important to feel like a badass motorcyclist sometimes. There’s nothing more liberating than putting on the badass-motorcyclist equivalent of shoes (i.e. Converse or black combat boots) and blaring some rock ‘n’ roll in the morning while you pour yourself a bowl of cereal. No matter how blasé you feel about the day ahead, a little inspiration can harness the blues into something much cooler. And with that, I’m fairly sure I just gave away my favorite (and probably only) life tip.

A lot of what I listen to falls into this category, but it really ranges from Americana to more bluesy rock. Take a listen, you renegade.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (BRMC) – Literally named after Marlon Brando’s motorcycle gang in a 1950s film, BRMC pretty much takes the cake for contemporary badass rock music. Reminiscent of classics such as The Rolling Stones and The Velvet Underground, its garage sound is sort of like an angsty older brother of The Black Keys. It’s a timeless group—one that isn’t constrained by genres or decades.

Song pick: “Conscience Killer” from “Beat The Devil’s Tattoo” album, 2010.

Band of Skulls – Band of Skulls fuses rock ‘n’ roll blues with more standard, atmospheric indie to create something accessible for anyone who appreciates a good guitar riff and punching lyrics. Its album “Baby Darling Dollface Honey” is particularly up the alley of where-are-your-big-black-boots with the ballsy opening track, “Light Of The Morning.”

Song pick: “The Devil Takes Care of His Own” from “Sweet Sour” album, 2012.

Graveyard – I really have an ex to thank for this. Although I didn’t fully appreciate Graveyard at the time, I’ve grown to love how much it reminds me of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and other legends that sound like what my parents would listen to when I was little. And all right, they’re a little scary. (Can a band that wails, “Lucifer, take my hand” not be scary?) If you need a better idea of what Graveyard sounds like, I might mention that the only place I’ve heard it play is my favorite tattoo shop. Get the idea?

Song pick: “Hisingen Blues” off the “Hisingen Blues” album, 2011

Reach the blogger at inovak@asu.edu or on Twitter @IsabelleNovak.

×