Tempe Police: Man steals property at Marriott, holds up knife

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

• A 26-year-old Tempe man was arrested March 30 on the 500 block of South Forest Avenue on suspicion of theft and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument, according to a police report.A man called police to the 11th floor of the Marriott Residence Inn about a possible armed robbery, police said.The caller confronted the man about his missing property, and the man exited his room holding a silver knife, the report said.

The man began walking toward the caller and yelling at him as the caller backed up and said he did not want any trouble, police reported.

A woman stepped between the two men as other people pulled the man with the knife away, police said.

It was her initial belief that he would not stab a woman, the report said.

The man did not make verbal threats, but the caller and the woman feared for their safety, police reported.

A search of the hotel room found the caller’s property and the knife, police said.

The man refused to provide an account of the incident and was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge on two counts of aggravated assault, according to the report.

• A 27-year-old Mesa woman was arrested March 25 on the 8000 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of possessing and using marijuana, being a fugitive from justice and being a person in prohibited possession of a weapon, according to a police report.The woman was not allowed to have firearms due to her multiple felony convictions, police said.When police asked if she had any property in the Motel 6 room she was contacted in, she replied that she had a wallet, police said.

Police found the wallet in a purse that the woman first said was hers and then said did not belong to her, the report said.

Changing her story again, the woman said she intended to sell the purse, but then returned to her original statement that the purse belonged to her, police reported.

Police brought the woman and the purse to the patrol car, police said.

A background check revealed that the woman had a Mesa warrant and nine previous felony charges that Tempe dispatch confirmed, the report said.

The arresting officer found a black plastic bag with a .40 Glock 27 handgun in it, a loaded magazine with four bullets next to it and a small amount of marijuana in her wallet, police said.

The woman said that she took the gun from her friend who was threatening to commit suicide, the report said.

The woman was arrested and booked into Tempe City Jail, according to the report.

Reports complied by Chelsey Ballarte

Contact the reporter at Chelsey.ballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @chelseyballarte

×