Memphis Grizzlies may have blown season by not tanking final game

The 2013-14 NBA season defined tanking. Fans witnessed everything from the Philadelphia 76ers losing 26 consecutive games to the Milwaukee Bucks finishing with a .183 winning percentage.

All this losing, all this talk about tanking and how to eradicate it — yet, there should have been one more game.

The Grizzlies should have thrown their final game of the regular season.

Instead, they defeated the Mavericks 106-105 in overtime and secured the seventh seed.

The Grizzlies now play the Thunder instead of the Spurs.

The Grizzlies are loaded with defense. Marc Gasol could neutralize Tim Duncan, Tony Allen can adequately defend Tony Parker and Tayshaun Prince would be able to force Manu Ginobili into some bad shots.

Of course, all three Spurs players I mentioned are future Hall of Famers, and they boast the best coach in the league. This is written with all due respect to the Spurs; they are better than the Thunder, but the Grizzlies match up better against San Antonio.

The Thunder have prime offensive weapons, and neither Kevin Durant nor Russell Westbrook could be contained for seven games. The Grizzlies' offense isn't able to create a large enough output to counteract this.

Additionally, the Grizzlies knocked Oklahoma City out of the playoffs just last year. The Thunder remember this, and there’s nothing scarier than Kevin Durant holding a grudge.

Reach the reporter at Logan.newman@asu.edu or follow him on

Twitter @Logan_Newsman

×