Tempe Police: Drunk, homeless sex offender screams at bystanders

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

• A 26-year-old man was arrested April 9 on the 600 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of disorderly conduct, failure to register as a sex offender and failure to carry the proper identification required of a sex offender, according to a police report.

Block by Block security officers followed the man after they observed him getting off the light rail, where he yelled and screamed at several bystanders, police said.

From there, the man ran to Tempe Tavern, screamed at customers sitting on the patio, then ran into The Graffiti Shop, police reported.

Fists clenched, the man ran out the back door of the store and hostilely confronted the security guards, the report said.

The Downtown Tempe Community, a nonprofit organization that partners with the Mill Avenue District to promote safety in that area, has a zero tolerance policy against disorderly conduct of any sort and will work with police to aid in the prosecution, police said.

Once detained, the man banged his head against the patrol car and kicked the windows, police reported.

Police found condoms, tobacco and breath mints when they searched him, police said.

A records check showed that the man had no state ID or driver’s license and had to be identified by a picture taken at a prior booking at the MCSO Jail, police reported.

The records check also revealed that he was an absconded sex offender who failed to register after he was released from jail in February and again in March, the report said.

Police attempted to communicate with the man, but he yelled and banged on the walls of his jail cell instead, police said.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked, according to the police report.

• A 24-year-old Scottsdale man was arrested April 12 on the 80 block of West Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of marijuana and paraphernalia possession and use, according to a police report.

The man, who was heavily intoxicated, initially called police at the intersection of Seventh Street and Mill Avenue to report his car stolen, police said.

When police arrived, the man told the arresting officer that he had passed out at Tempe Beach Park, the report said.

Police found his vehicle on Mill Avenue parked illegally in a taxi loading zone with unlocked doors, the windows down, the sunroof open and the keys sitting in the drivers seat, police reported.

The law officer seized a bag with marijuana and a pipe in it and locked the car, police said.

The man was transported and booked into the Tempe City Jail and released pending charges, according to the report.

Reports complied by Chelsey Ballarte

Reach the reporter at Chelsey.ballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @chelseyballarte

×