Tempe Police: Man has open alcohol, cocaine in car

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

• A 24-year-old Phoenix man was arrested March 22 at East 6th Street and South Mill Avenue on suspicion of possessing an open liquor container in a vehicle and narcotic drug possession and use, according to a police report.

The man sat in the passenger seat of a red Mercury Grand Marquis with an open container of Tecate beer when police observed and contacted him, the report said.

Law officials asked the man for a valid form of identification, but because the man did not have one, he did not meet the criteria to be cited and released, so police arrested the man, police reported.

During a search, police found a small baggie of cocaine in the right coin pocket of his jeans, the report said.

“It’s mine, it’s mine,” the man said when police discovered the baggie.

The man was booked and held at the Tempe City Jail, according to the report.

• A 21-year-old Flagstaff woman was arrested March 17 at the 600 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of marijuana possession and use, according to a police report.

A business owner flagged down a police officer to tell him that the arrestee and two other people were smoking marijuana, police said.

The arresting officer witnessed the woman take a deep drag from a marijuana cigarette and cough, police reported.

The woman noticed the officer, dropped the cigarette, stepped on it and tried to walk away, police said.

Police walked through a cloud of smoke smelling of marijuana to go after the woman, the report said.

The officer grabbed her and she was put under arrest without incident, police reported.

When the woman was read her Miranda Rights, she admitted that she was smoking but denied that it was marijuana, police said.

She was booked and transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was released pending drug charges.

Reports compiled by Chelsey Ballarte

Reach the reporter at Chelsey.ballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @chelseyballarte

×