Tempe Police: Woman shoplifts, bites police

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• A 22-year-old Tempe woman was arrested March 30 on the 1000 block of East Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of shoplifting, assault and dangerous drugs and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

A loss prevention officer at a J.C. Penney tried to detain her after seeing her shoplifting, the report said.

The woman fought the officer and bit him, police said.

Once she was detained, police searched her and found dangerous drugs along with drug paraphernalia, police reported.

J.C. Penney and the loss prevention officer will aid in her prosecution, the report said.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked, according to the report.

• A 19-year-old man was arrested March 29 at North Scottsdale Road and East Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of three counts of misconduct with weapons, possession of stolen property, giving a false report to police and failure to appear, according to a police report.

Police performed a vehicle stop and asked the driver if there were any weapons in the car, to which the driver replied that there weren't, police said.

The man, who was in the back passenger seat of the vehicle, gave police a false name and incorrect date of birth to hide his warrant from the arresting officer, the report said.

Police searched the car and found a Riot K-120 shotgun in the trunk and a Savage .32 caliber handgun with several green shotgun cartridges under the back seat, police reported.

A records check showed that the items were reported stolen in California, but police could not confirmed at the time because of the hours of operation, police said.

The man, who had previously been convicted of two felonies as a juvenile, told police he did not tell the officer there were guns in the vehicle because the driver already told police there were no weapons, and the man did not want to say otherwise, the report said.

The man was transported and booked into Tempe City Jail, according to the report.

Reports complied by Chelsey Ballarte.

Reach the reporter at chelsey.ballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @chelseyballarte.

×