ASU alum competes on 'Let's Make a Deal'

Cameron Boldi and his father, Armond Boldi, after the Let’s Make A Deal taping Cameron appeared as a contestant on the show Friday, May 23. (Photo courtesy of Cameron Boldi)

Cameron Boldi and his father, Armond Boldi, after the Let’s Make A Deal taping Cameron appeared as a contestant on the show Friday, May 23. (Photo courtesy of Cameron Boldi) Cameron Boldi and his father, Armond Boldi, after the Let’s Make A Deal taping Cameron appeared as a contestant on the show Friday, May 23. (Photo courtesy of Cameron Boldi)

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. That's what Cameron Boldi did, and as a result, the ASU alumnus competed Friday on "Let's Make a Deal."

Boldi, whose father was a big fan of the show while Boldi was growing up, went to the show a week before he was selected to compete but didn't have the chance to be a contestant.

A week later, Boldi tried again to be selected for the show and had better luck.

"I wasn't chosen the first time," Boldi said. "But when I went back, I had a better idea of what the producers were looking for."

Potential contestants are interviewed by a panel of producers then selected by show host Wayne Brady, show representative Heather Hischar said.

"You wait outside then go in and interview with a small group," Boldi said. "They want you to be energetic and enthusiastic."

After the interview, Boldi said he and other potential contestants were able to relax in a tent while they awaited the results.

"They're watching to see how you interact with others," he said.

After not being selected to compete on his first visit to the set, Boldi was much more interactive with his fellow applicants, which he said he believes helped in his being selected.

Boldi said his mind was empty when he was chosen.

"Not much was going through my head, more shock than anything else," he said.

The show, which has been on the air since the 1960s, features a series of contestants who compete in games of chance for prizes and cash.

Typically, contestants are given a known item and a certain amount of cash and then are able to choose to take their known prize or select an unknown prize from behind a curtain.

Contestants try to avoid less than desirable prizes, which are known as zonks.

Boldi’s father Armond was with him when Cameron was selected as a contestant.

“I was hoping to be chosen myself,” Armond said. “But I was very excited when Cameron was.”

In typical fashion for show contestants, both of the Boldis were dressed in costumes for their appearance.

Cameron dressed as a Rubik’s Cube, and his father was dressed as a classic hippie.

Cameron’s episode aired Friday, May 23.

Reach the reporter at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21.

×