ASU volleyball announces 2014 season schedule

ASU volleyball released its schedule for the 2014 season on June 16, which features 14 matches against opponents that were in the 2013 NCAA Championships.

The Sun Devils play their first three games on the road against San Diego State, Hawaii and Ohio in the Chevron Rainbow Wahine Invitational. It won’t be until their fourth game on Sept. 4, an exhibition match against Canada’s Mount Royal University, that they play in front of their home crowd.

ASU’s first home tournament will be the Residence Inn Challenge on Sept. 5-7 against Idaho State, Iowa and UAB. The Sun Devils will have to play back-to-back games for this tournament Sept. 5 against UAB and Idaho State.

ASU will then travel again for the Comfort Inn and Suites Invitational on Sept. 12-13 against Louisville, Northern Illinois and Morehead State. The last non-conference tournament, the Residence Inn Invitational, is played on Sept. 19-20 at home for the Sun Devils as they face off against Colorado State, North Carolina Central and Pepperdine.

The Sun Devils begin Pac-12 play with a lengthy road trip. First will be a match against UA in Tucson on Sept. 24, then two days later they will travel to USC to play the Trojans. ASU will also play Colorado and Utah before going back to Tempe for its Pac-12 home opener against California.

The final game of the regular season will be played at Wells Fargo Arena with a Territorial Cup Series matchup against UA on Nov. 28.

ASU volleyball has been very successful of late, reaching the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year. Pac-12 Networks have certainly taken notice of the program’s success, as the Sun Devils will have 13 televised matches in the upcoming season.

Notable games that will be featured on Pac-12 Networks include the regular season finale against UA as well as Club Night against Washington on Oct. 17.

Reach the reporter at hkossodo@asu.edu or on Twitter @HKossodo

×