Bravo to Marvel introducing a black Captain America and a female Thor. Diversity is something desperately needed in the comic book industry, and Marvel is leading the charge, unlike its competitor, DC Comics. We're excited to see how the new iterations of these beloved superheroes play out.

Boo to violence against journalists. There was a shooting in news outlet Al Jazeera’s office in Gaza a day after Israeli foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman condemned the network for broadcasting anti-Semitic propaganda. The building had to be evacuated following the shots fired into the office.

Bravo to the late Philip Seymour Hoffman for choosing not to leave his fortune to his children. Hoffman was adamant about wanting his three young children to make their own way in the world and not turn into trust fund kids.

Boo to former Colts head coach Tony Dungy. Dungy said he would not have drafted Michael Sam, the first openly gay NFL player, because it would cause a distraction to the team. Dungy was also one of the biggest supporters of Michael Vick getting a second chance following his imprisonment for dog fighting, so he's probably not the best judge of character.

Bravo to German soccer player Mesut Özil. After winning the World Cup in Brazil, Özil used roughly £350,000 of his winnings to pay for the surgeries of 23 Brazilian children. The German players received £300,000 bonuses following their World Cup final victory over Argentina.

Boo to Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 being shot down over Ukraine on Thursday, killing all 298 people on board. Who shot down the plane isn't confirmed yet, but many suspect Russian rebels are at fault. Our hearts go out to the families of the victims.

Bravo to Sierra Sandison, who wore an insulin pump clipped to her attire during last week’s Miss Idaho pageant. Sandison was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2012, and her story has inspired others with similar disabilities after her photos from the pageant went viral.

Boo to Israel’s ground invasion of Gaza last Thursday. As of Tuesday, more than 550 Gazans have been killed, along with 25 Israeli soldiers and two Israeli citizens about two weeks into the conflict. By invading Gaza, Israel could be facing more scrutiny with the possibility of causing more civilian casualties. The New York Times reported 75 percent of Palestinian causalities have been civilians, according to a United Nations count.

Bravo to the Washington Nationals fan who sculpted his beard to resemble the script “W” that serves as the team logo. His dedication to the team is inspiring.

Boo to conflicting rulings on the new health care law's legality. Separate federal courts on Tuesday ruled both to uphold and strike down its subsidies, leading to plenty of confusion.

Want to join the conversation? Send a letter to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters to 300 words or less and include your University affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×