Canadian band Magic! infuses summer nights with reggae

“Don’t Kill The Magic” features a reggae-fusion sound from the members of Magic!. (Photo courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment International Limited)

“Don’t Kill The Magic” features a reggae-fusion sound from the members of Magic!. (Photo courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment International Limited) “Don’t Kill The Magic” features a reggae-fusion sound from
the members of Magic!. (Photo courtesy of Sony Music
Entertainment International Limited)

Reggae has long been a staple of the summer mix-tape. More recently, dance and electronic have become the music of summer dance parties and road trips. Enter Magic!. The group's reggae-fusion sound refreshes the summer's musical palate with upbeat sounds and confident lyrics.

Through Sony Entertainment, Magic! released its debut album "Don't Kill The Magic" on July 1. On the heels of the success of its debut single "Rude," the group has gained a great deal of visibility. The members of Magic! and their immersive swagger and style have impressed personalities including Ryan Seacrest and Perez Hilton.

Nasri Atweh, the vocalist and frontman of the group, is no stranger to the music scene. His résumé reflects various musical talents such as songwriting and producing. He is one-half of the songwriting team "The Messengers."

After meeting Mark Pellizzer, Atweh was inspired to create a new band, which he dubbed the "modern-day Police." Soon after, Magic! was born. The band is made up of Atweh, Pellizzer, Ben Spivak, and Alex Tanas.

Stylistically, the group ventures through the beats of reggae in collaboration with quick rock and roll elements. Each song possesses the personality of a ticking time bomb. They begin slow but powerful, and reach their climax with a bang.

Like many artists in the fusion genres, their song titles are personal and relatable. Some titles even appear to be modern takes on older reggae tunes, such as Magic!'s "No Evil" and "One Woman One Man."

While the music itself can become repetitive, it is never unexciting. This is a solid debut album, achieving the goals Atweh and Pellizzer had at the start of their journey into this band.

The major goal for the band at this juncture is to make sure that they do not become one-hit wonders. It can be difficult to stay true to a band's soul and still maintain an interest audience.

Hopefully fans can relate to the romance of "Let Your Hair Down," or possibly the feelings of a one-night stand with "No Evil."

While only time can tell if Magic! remains on the music scene, one thing is certain. Magic! has created a major fanbase that will carry its reggae-fusion tunes through the summer.

3.5 out of 5 pitchforks.

Reach the writer at arabusa@asu.edu or on Twitter @marie_eo.

×