Don't miss these local art events before school begins

“Sphere,” by Teresa Ilene Redden; part of the Fold, Paper, Scissors exhibition at the Mesa Arts Center. (Photo courtesy of Mesa Arts Center)

“Sphere,” by Teresa Ilene Redden; part of the Fold, Paper, Scissors exhibition at the Mesa Arts Center. (Photo courtesy of Mesa Arts Center) “Sphere,” by Teresa Ilene Redden; part of the Fold, Paper, Scissors exhibition at the Mesa Arts Center. (Photo courtesy of Mesa Arts Center)

Summer is in full force, with 122-degree weather and nonstop sunshine. It seems that the fall semester has crept upon ASU students, with fewer than 30 days until the first day of classes.

This news does not warrant any sadness, however. The arrival of this new semester brings a chance to discover the insightful and heart-warming entertainment the Valley has to offer.

Hopefully after visiting these events you will be prepared for school, which begins August 21st. Ring in the new school year with these fun events near the ASU campuses:

Tempe

Finally Friday: Chloe Tang at the Tempe Arts Center

Aug. 1 at 5 p.m.

Enjoy acoustic music from local artist Chloe Tang. The singer-songwriter, whose sound is inspired by Ingrid Michaelson and Ed Sheeran, will serenade visitors of the Tempe Arts Center on the first Friday of August. You can listen to Chloe and other local acts while eating free appetizers aside on Tempe Town Lake every Friday at the Arts Center. These events will bring a relaxing end to the work week.

Learn more about Chloe Tang here.

The Head and the Heart at the Marquee Theatre

Aug. 12 at 8 p.m.

The Head and the Heart is set to bring its folksy, Seattle-borne style to Tempe's Marquee Theatre in August. The band's self-titled debut album was released in 2010. With artfully crafted lyrics, they received praise from critics across the country.

Buy tickets to this concert at luckymanonline.com.

Tempe Comedy Concert Series: Men vs. Women

Aug.15 at 7:30 p.m.

In a satirical panel discussion, three men and three women will venture to answer the essential questions of relationships and gender roles such as: Why don't men ever put the seat down? The couples will argue across the stage and address life situations in a comedic fashion.

Downtown Phoenix

August First Friday presented by Artlink

Aug. 1 at 6 p.m.

Phoenix's First Friday features local artists from painters to musicians. Walking through Downtown Phoenix on First Friday will introduce visitors to Arizona talent, while meeting with neighbors and creating new friends. First Friday takes place every month and is presented by Artlink.

"Expressively Frida" at the Phoenix Public Library

Ongoing until Aug. 3

The local art collective, The Phoenix Fridas, present portraits and pieces inspired by Frida Kahlo. The exhibit is located on the second floor of the Burton Barr Central Library, just off the light rail.

Make It! at the Phoenix Art Museum

Aug. 13 at 5:30 p.m.

The Phoenix Art Museum gives visitors the opportunity to create masks inspired by Masks of the Japanese Noh Theater. The current exhibit that features these masks is called "Quiet Rage, Gentle Wail".

Mesa/Polytechnic

Fold, Paper, Scissors at the Mesa Arts Center

Ongoing until Aug. 10

In elementary school, cutting paper snowflakes was the height of artistic prowess. This exhibit at the Mesa Arts Center takes paper-cutting to entirely different level. Experience paper in a way it isn't found in day to day life.

Boundless at the Mesa Arts Center

Ongoing until Aug.10

This exhibit at the Mesa Arts Center challenges the standard artistic media. Dozens of artists alter the appearance of books to create bold pieces.

Reach the writer at arabusa@asu.edu or on Twitter @marie_eo.

×