ASU LiveSafe Mobile App connects faculty, students to police department

Users are able to message friends and family, or call the police, and be virtually walked to any location. (Screenshot by Andrew Nicla)

The main menu of the ASU LiveSafe app has four basic functions: reporting non-emergency tips, making emergency calls, a social map, and SafeWalk. (Screenshot by Andrew Nicla) The main menu of the ASU LiveSafe app has four
basic functions: reporting non-emergency tips,
making emergency calls, a social map, and SafeWalk.
(Screenshot by Andrew Nicla)

ASU’s Police Department is extending its reach into the digital age with a new app for ASU students, faculty and their families.

Through the free application, users can anonymously report non-emergency tips or place emergency calls.

“ASU chose LiveSafe, because it offers flexibility for both the department and the students,” said ASU Police Sergeant Daniel Macias. “It enhances communication between the department and the community.”

The tips are received in real-time through the department’s dispatch service, and officers are sent out accordingly, explains Macias.

Users can also place emergency calls, as well check for crime reports around their area and be virtually escorted home by a friend in their phone contacts.

ASU is the first university in Arizona to partner with the LiveSafe app, which is available in both Google Play and the Apple App Store.

Once the application is downloaded, users are prompted to allow LiveSafe to access the GPS unit in their phone and sign up for a LiveSafe account. Users can choose to sign up with Facebook or email.

The ASU LiveSafe application is useful in certain situations, but every emergency and non-emergency situation is different.

“I like the idea of the app,” said exercise and wellness junior Jesse Caccese. “It’s a very simple idea, but as far as how useful the app is depends on the situation.”

While some students do plan to use the app, others feel like it might not be necessary.

“I don’t think I’ll use the app,” said kinesiology sophomore Nick Blumenfeld. “It may be useful, but if I’m in an emergency situation, I’ll just call 911.”

LiveSafe has four features: the social map, reporting tips, emergencies and SafeWalk.

The social map displays recent public crime reports by other users, “safety places,” “LiveSafe tips,” and schools and agencies registered with LiveSafe.

The app also allows people to report tips, such as a motor vehicle accident, harassment, theft, suspicious activity and assault. Users can then add audio, pictures or video to their tip, along with their written details of the tip.

The app will also allow people to dial 911 or the emergency information hotline, (480) 727-9911.

If a user is feeling uncomfortable walking a certain route, they have the option to use LiveSafe’s “SafeWalk” feature, which allows users to chat with friends, share their location and contact police.

ASU’s Police Department offers numerous safety services to faculty and students and the application is simply an extension of their services.

If you are ever in an emergency situation, you are encouraged to call 911, contact the ASU Police and Safety Escort (602) 262-3456 or contact the Phoenix Police department (602) 495-1500.

Reach the reporter at anicla@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @AndrewNiclaASU

×