Fears and loathing: The ASU freshman experience

Toy Story GIF via Giphy
Toy Story GIF via Giphy

ASU basketball GIF via Giphy ASU basketball GIF via Giphy

Moving into the dorms is a long and sweaty process, but business communications freshman Deanna Alman said it’s nice to have her own space out of her parents’ house.

“It was fun making the space my own. It was nerve-wracking, because I knew my parents were leaving soon, but it hasn’t been too hard in terms of breaking away from them,” Alman said.

Marketing freshman Madison Laboy agreed.

“Moving in on move-in day, besides the weather, wasn’t too bad," Laboy said. "The move-in crew was very helpful and made the unbearable heat actually bearable, because they were so efficient."

As a freshman, walking into the dining hall and seeing a sea of people serving a multitude of different foods can be one of the first week's best moments. The dining hall can provide you with almost anything you’re craving. If not the dining hall, then the POD can get you what you want.

Meeko GIF via Giphy Meeko GIF via Giphy

“The Manzy dining hall is so good, minus the breakfast, but I like how clean it is, and the cookies are bomb,” Kunitsky said.

It’s no secret that the Tempe campus is huge, especially to someone who just came from a high school campus. Classes that are on opposite sides of the campus can cause a walk between classes to be nearly 30 minutes, especially if you don’t know exactly where you’re going.

Toy Story GIF via Giphy Toy Story GIF via Giphy

Nursing freshman Alyssa Weiss said even though the downtown campus may be smaller, the workload is not.

“When school started and I went to class, it was a little overwhelming, and I know the workload is going to be hard for me, but I’m just going to take it one day at a time,” Weiss said. “Overall, I’ve had a good first week, and I’ve met some really cool people. I’m excited for my first year at ASU!”

Reach the reporter at danielle.kernkamp@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter at @danikernkamp

×