First-half recap: No. 19 ASU 31 Weber State 0

Redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong makes a leaping catch over Weber State cornerback Cordero Dixon. ASU leads 31-0 at halftime. (Photo by Sean Logan)

Redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong makes a leaping catch over Weber State cornerback Cordero Dixon. ASU leads 31-0 at halftime. (Photo by Sean Logan) Redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong makes a leaping catch over Weber State cornerback Cordero Dixon. ASU leads 31-0 at halftime. (Photo by Sean Logan)

Despite struggling early on offensively, the ASU football team was able to storm back and take complete control over the visiting Weber State Wildcats.

The Sun Devils drew first blood, capping off a nine-play, 33-yard drive with a 33-yard field goal for sophomore Zane Gonzalez.

Freshman linebacker DJ Calhoun made his presence felt early, making a tackle in the backfield and nearly intercepting a pass on back-to-back plays and standing out as one of ASU's best in the first quarter.

With 4:32 remaining in the first quarter, the Sun Devils finally put the ball across the goal line. Kelly found redshirt junior wide receiver Gary Chambers wide open for Chambers's first career reception and touchdown. The score capped off a seven play drive that went 55 yards.

Just three minutes later, ASU scored again. This time junior running back DJ Foster scored from a yard away to put the Sun Devils ahead 17-0.

The Wildcats showed signs of life on the following drive, riding a 39-yard run by sophomore running back Zach Smith into the red zone. The Sun Devil defense held its own, however, stopping the Wildcats four times inside the five yard line, ending the drive with a stop of Smith inside the one-yard-line.

ASU took over in the shadows of their goal posts, but that did not faze the potent Sun Devil offense. It took just nine plays for ASU to move all the way to the end zone for Foster's second touchdown of the evening.

With under a minute remaining in the half, freshman running back Kalen Ballage scored his first career touchdown of his young career gave ASU a 31-0 lead to wrap up the half.

In the first half, Jaelen Strong caught 10 passes for 146 yards to lead the team in total yards. Foster had 84 yards on 13 carries and the two touchdowns. Kelly recorded 238 passing yards, giving him 6943 for his career, good for fourth all-time in the ASU record books.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger

×