Flying Lotus kills with release of new track in anticipation of album 'You're Dead'

As far as electronic music goes, Flying Lotus is a god among men.

Fortunately for the world, today is one of those days that a god premieres a new track on a BBC radio station.

In anticipation of FlyLo’s new album, ‘You’re Dead!’ which is set to release in October, Lotus debuted a new track on Gilles Peterson’s radio show. The new album has a slew of killer features such as Kendrick Lamar, Snoop Dogg and, personal favorite of mine, bassist virtuoso Thundercat.

The song can be found at 1:11:12 in the radio interview linked above.

Featuring jazz legend and Miles Davis backing band alum Herbie Hancock, Lotus’ new track explores some different styles than his previous work. The song departs from the usual electronic soundscapes that Lotus has perfected and ventures into more improvisational sounding jazz.

The new song comes two weeks after Lotus released an entrancing audiovisual sampler.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, as Lotus is consistently pushing the genre and his music in ways that are shaping the genre, but it’s making me swell up with excitement for his next LP.

Reach the reporter at zjenning@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @humanzane

×