Tempe Police: Man kicks firefighters attempting to help him

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

• A 26-year-old Mesa man was arrested Aug. 24 on the 700 block of South Myrtle Avenue on suspicion of aggravated assault of a firefighter and an outstanding warrant, according to a police report.

Firefighters were attempting to give medical treatment to a man that had been involved in a domestic violence dispute, police reported.The man became physically violent and began kicking firefighters in the shin, spitting on them and saying he didn’t need their help, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

• A 23-year-old Tempe man was arrested Aug. 23 on the 900 block of East Broadway Road on suspicion of shoplifting and marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.The man entered a Safeway store, placed a bottle of alcohol in his waistband and walked out of the store, police reported. Loss and prevention employees contacted the man and called police, according to the report.Officers found marijuana and a pipe when they searched the man, police reported.

The man told officers he had bought the alcohol at a Circle K but he neither remembered the store’s location or had a receipt for the purchase, police reported.

He also said he had gone to Safeway to buy a Cup Noodles and Gatorade, but he had neither item with him, according to the police report.

Reports compiled by Shelby Slade.

Reach the reporter at sgslade@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @shelbygslade

×