Tempe Police: Man steals eight bottles of shampoo

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

• A 55-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Aug. 23 on the 1300 block of West Elliot Road on suspicion of two outstanding warrants and for failing to appear in court, according to a police report.The man had placed eight bottles of shampoo worth about $43 in his pants and walked out of the Walmart without paying for the items, police reported.

After he had left the building, loss prevention employees spoke with him and called the police, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

• A 32-year-old Mesa man was arrested Aug. 23 on the 600 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of impersonating a police officer and having an outstanding warrant, according to a police report.The man had previously attempted to talk to a group of five women inside a business on Mill Avenue but they ignored him, police reported.

He then returned to the table the women were sitting at, showed them a coin with a picture of a police badge on it and insisted he see their identification to prove they were over 21 years old, according to the report.

When one woman produced her passport, the man took the passport and went outside where he began talking on his cell phone, police reported. The group of women followed the man and he began acting “creepy,” according to the report.

The women brought the issue to the attention of the bouncer and police were contacted, police reported.

The man told officers the item he showed as a badge was really a challenge coin from the Avon Police Department in Colorado, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Shelby Slade.

Reach the reporter at sgslade@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @shelbygslade

×