The art shop around the corner

The three pieces (left to right) “Muerta”, “Hot Eyeballon” and “Alien Eye Ship” are by artist Aztec Smurf. (Photo by Olivia Pendergast)

“Servous Nystem” by resident artist Carlos Rivas. (Photo by Olivia Pendergast) The mural “Servous Nystem” is by resident artist Carlos Rivas. (Photo by Olivia Richard)

Art: a word with virtually no concrete definition. From etchings on ancient papyrus to pirouettes, paintings and selfies, the word art has been used to describe various forms of creative expression. For centuries art has been used as a method to translate and preserve cultural heritage, as well as narrate the present or future both as individuals see it or wish it to be.

The Arizona Latino Arts and Cultural Center’s goal of celebrating, illuminating, educating and promoting the Latino and Chicano heritage allows viewers a uniquely immersive look to the life and culture of Latinos.

Casting a modern reflection on the traditions of the past the gallery features the work of various local artist and resident artist such as José Andres Giron and Carlos Rivas and Roman Reyes whose work is heavily influenced by the Latino agrarian culture as well as the Día de Muertos celebration. While the pieces exude a sense of modern unity and pride, there is an unmistakable reverence for progress.

For gallery volunteer Andrea Trujillo, “the art reaches back to the roots” of the Latino culture “and shows people what we’re about.”

Always looking for new art and artists to feature the Arizona Latino Arts and Cultural Center hosts a special event that is held on the first Friday of each month, when they celebrate Latino heritage with mariachi music, food and the monthly unveiling of new featured art.

The three pieces (left to right) “Muerta”, “Hot Eyeballon” and “Alien Eye Ship” are by artist Aztec Smurf. (Photo by Olivia Pendergast) The three pieces (left to right) “Muerta”, “Hot Eyeballon” and “Alien Eye Ship” are by artist Aztec Smurf. (Photo by Olivia Richard)

All pieces seen in both the gallery and gift shop display an unmistakable beauty in their vulnerable expressionism that is just as beautiful as it is raw and are available for purchase in the “La Tiendita” gift shop.

Gallery admission is free, though donations are accepted. The Arizona Latino Arts and Cultural Center is also host a special event September 15 in honor of Hispanic Heritage month, they will be hosting live music, food, dancing and much more.

The center is located on 147 E Adams St in Phoenix. The hours are 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday; the center is closed Sundays.

Reach the reporter at oprichar@asu.edudjulienr@gmail.com or follow her on Twitter @OliviaRichard1

×