ASU alumna returns to give back as Catholic FOCUS missionary

Elizabeth Whitton poses next to the Newman Center at University Drive and College Avenue in Tempe. Whitton decided to give up two years of her life to do missionary work at ASU. (Photo by Ryan Liu)

Elizabeth Whitton poses next to the Newman Center at University Drive and College Avenue in Tempe. Whitton decided to give up two years of her life to do missionary work at ASU. (Photo by Ryan Liu) Elizabeth Whitton poses next to the Newman Center at University Drive and College Avenue in Tempe. Whitton decided to give up two years of her life to do missionary work at ASU. (Photo by Ryan Liu)

Once a Sun Devil, always a Sun Devil. This seems to be true for 23-year-old ASU alumna Elizabeth Whitton.

Whitton, who graduated with a degree in psychology, is now a missionary with Fellowship of Catholic University Students at the Newman Center. The program helps students develop a growing relationship with Jesus and the Roman Catholic Church.

Many college students struggle with living their faith while at ASU, and Whitton said she was one of those students while pursuing her undergraduate degree.

“I was a junior at ASU and I was becoming keenly aware that my behaviors up until that point — drinking, parties and random hookups — weren’t bringing me the happiness and peace I knew I was thirsting for,” Whitton said.

Due to her struggles in college and the radical change in her heart, she has devoted her life to helping students who are struggling like she did.

She said when her heart began to change away from the parties and focused on God, she recognized herself in different students around campus and wanted to make an impact in their lives.

The missionaries go through a grueling application process as well as a five-week training at Ave Maria in Florida, where they then commit two years of their lives to serving wherever they are asked to go.

FOCUS holds different events throughout the campus such as large groups, bible studies, one-on-one mentorship and events like BBQ cookouts or tailgates.

The missionaries’ job is to give completely of themselves in the hope of bettering the Catholic Church. The students throughout the ASU campus realize the positive impact these missionaries are making on the campus.

Team Director for FOCUS Emily German said she recognizes the struggles many face on campus, which is why she decided to be a missionary.

“College years are some of the most pivotal times of a young person’s life,” said German. “Without the support of family and friends, the majority of freshman students fall into the party culture, swallowed by promises of happiness from destructive influences."

Ruy Vasquez, finance major, said he has found true friendship with the missionaries on campus.

“Many of the FOCUS missionaries at the Newman Center have been close friends of mine since I first arrived at ASU,” said Vasquez. “They have simultaneously been present, supportive and encouraging of my efforts at becoming closer to God while I have been here.”

These missionaries have not only played a supportive and giving role with the students, they have also inspired other students to give back to different universities in the future.

Business management major Carlos Caraveo is an advocate for this organization and is even considering joining one day.

“The FOCUS missionaries are awesome,” said Caraveo. “I want to be a missionary. I applied to become a missionary already, and, if it is God’s will, then I will be a FOCUS missionary next fall.”

Reach the reporter at eaharri4@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @lissabissa09

×