ASU basketball coaches Herb Sendek, Charli Turner-Thorne earn contract extensions

Buckling down: ASU coach Charli Turner Thorne gives out directions during the Feb. 3 game against Stanford while freshman guard Adrienne Thomas waits in the background. The Sun Devils are tied for third in the conference with USC, whom they face on Thursday. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

Herb Sendek directs the men's basketball Herb Sendek inked an extension with ASU that would keep him at the helm of the Sun Devil program through the 2018-19 season. (Photo by Kyle Glaser)

ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek signed a contact extension that will keep him in Tempe through the 2018-19 season, per an initial report from ASUDevils.com.

Sendek's current contract was set to expire in June 2016. The eighth-year head coach makes $1.2 million annually, and his latest extension, pending approval from the Arizona Board of Regents, would give him a raise in addition to that base salary. The 2010 Pac-10 Coach of the Year has led the Sun Devils to two NCAA Tournament berths, including last season, which ended in a 87-85 loss in the second round on a buzzer-beating layup  to the No. 7 seed Texas Longhorns, (under the leadership of former ASU athletic director Steve Patterson) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, back on March 20.

Additionally, women's coach Charli Turner-Thorne was granted an extension, with terms and estimated salary still unspecified.

Thorne's squad earned a No. 9 seed in the Toledo, Ohio, regional, defeating Vanderbilt 69-61 before being eliminated by No. 1 Notre Dame 84-67 in the round of 32.

Buckling down: ASU coach Charli Turner Thorne gives out directions during the Feb. 3 game against Stanford while freshman guard Adrienne Thomas waits in the background. The Sun Devils are tied for third in the conference with USC, whom they face on Thursday. (Photo by Michael Arellano) Buckling down: ASU coach Charli Turner-Thorne gives out directions during a game against Stanford in 2011. Turner-Thorne has earned an extension on her contract. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

Reach the assistant sports editor at smodrich@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter  @StefanJModrich

×