No. 19 ASU volleyball prepares to take on No. 18 Arizona Wildcats

Junior setter Bianca Arellano hits the ball at a home game against North Carolina Central University on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils swept the Eagles 3-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Junior middle blocker Mercedes Binns makes blocks an attack against North Carolina Central University on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils swept the Eagles 3-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Junior middle blocker Mercedes Binns makes blocks an attack against North Carolina Central University on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils swept the Eagles 3-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Last season, ASU went 11-1 entering Pac-12 conference play. Its first match was against UA, who was 10-2. This year, the tables have turned.

UA is 11-1 and leaped up to No. 18 in the rankings. ASU, which lost to Colorado State last weekend, fell to No. 19.

The Wildcats' sole loss is to now-No. 2 Texas.

“They’re led by a senior, Madi Kingdon, that is tearing it up,” Watson said. “She’s getting all these kills; she’s carrying a big offensive load for them, passing the ball well.”

Kingdon has hit a whopping 216 kills in just 38 sets. ASU’s highest kill counter belongs to junior outside hitter Macey Gardner, who has 152 kills in 43 sets.

Gardner acknowledged Kingdon’s success.

“They’ve obviously got some talent that’s grown, they have Madi Kingdon … who’s leading that team pretty well,” she said.

Watson said the team isn’t sure how to contain her.

“They’ve played 12 matches and nobody’s seemed to figure it out yet,” he said.

He did say that ASU needed to go into the match with a good serving game plan and be ready to be disruptive.

Junior setter Bianca Arellano hits the ball at a home game against North Carolina Central University on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils swept the Eagles 3-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Junior setter Bianca Arellano hits the ball at a home game against North Carolina Central University on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils swept the Eagles 3-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Kills aren’t the only thing Kingdon brings to the table. She is an elite digger for an outside hitter and has posted 104 digs this season. The only ASU player to beat that mark so far is freshman libero Halle Harker, who has 158.

Watson said UA is known for its digging capabilities.

"They have some (defensive specialists), and they have a really nice libero and they’re creating and creating and creating,” he said. “That’s the challenge. Will we be patient enough to play the game long enough?”

Senior libero Ronni Lewis has a team-high 148 digs for Arizona, and sophomore setter Penina Snuka follows close behind with 139.

Colorado State also had the digging advantage against ASU, an ability that ultimately led to the Sun Devils’ undoing on Friday night. Watson said that if that can change, ASU’s chances will look good.

"If we can match their defensive intensity … and create some things defensively then I think we’ve got a really good chance,” Watson said.

One thing that does look up for ASU — UA has yet to defeat a ranked team.

But other news from the trainer's room will bring anxious Sun Devil fans back to earth — junior middle blocker Whitney Follette remains sidelined after appendicitis surgery. Junior setter Bianca Arellano said the team is going to continue to try to get the middles involved, though.

“We’ve been working eye work and then connecting with our middles too,” she said. “That’s what I’ve been working on and then also keeping my hitters in tempo.”

She’ll need to figure out the tempo and reach of her teammates. Redshirt freshman outside hitter Kwyn Johnson and junior middle blocker Andi Lowrance have received middle blocker playing time, and it may take time for her to develop consistency with them.

The match against UA is not just another match. It’s the beginning of Pac-12 play, and perhaps as important, a match against the Wildcats.

“It’s always fun to go down south and play in their gym. Knowing that we’re rivals, it’s cool to start out the season that way,” Gardner said. “There’s a little bit more tension involved and a little more excitement.”

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Logan_Newsman

×