Letter: No guns means criminal haven

I've been at ASU since 2005, and I've seen a lot of changes on campus. However, what I find surprising is how vulnerable students are to crime.

Many students just moved away from home and are new to living on their own. They might have little concept of how to protect themselves.

What I find disconcerting is that the 82,000 students at ASU have no means to protect themselves under the Second Amendment while on campus. They are essentially deprived of that right while on campus.

As a concealed permit possessor and also having completed training for an armed guard card, I find it personally offensive to be denied my right to protect myself through use of a firearm while on campus.

I firmly believe that if students, especially females, were able to conceal carry firearms on campus that there would be a decrease of sexual assault crimes.

Criminals target this area because they know they run less risk of getting shot at.

Although it seems very innocuous, ASU's surrounding area can be dangerous. I believe by reinstating the Second Amendment rights of U.S. citizens, we can prevent more assaults on campus.

Ryan Hartwig

Undergraduate

×