Magical realism embodies classy sensuality

Isabel Allende, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Literally Speaking Banner

Sensuality can sometimes be considered too risqué or taboo for public media. Readers can argue that "Fifty Shades of Grey" has a sensuous tone, but I'm talking about literature a level below the handcuffs and whips.

What I'm referring to is the detailed imagery of passion, where the sex is not even described in more than one sentence.

Yes, I get a tad uncomfortable when reading descriptions of a couple's private moment. Even so, I can't help but be completely enthralled and seduced by the manner in which the writers weaved the scene.

Magical realism began as an art form and quickly transformed into a literary genre. This type of literature joins reality and the supernatural. At times, it's difficult to distinguish between those two perspectives in books written by authors of magical realism.

I first learned about magical realism in high school, when we explored two works from Latin American authors. The first was "Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel, and the second was "Bless Me, Ultima" by Rudolfo Anaya. Both of these works were fascinating in their plotline, as well as their style.

Readers know magical realism for its vivid imagery, and the sensuality that exudes from every word. Without those elements, magical realism would not come to life the way that it does.

Isabel Allende, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons Isabel Allende, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Recently, I picked up a book by Isabel Allende called "The Stories of Eva Luna". I found my way into Zia Records, the clearance shop near ASU's Tempe Campus. They offered an assortment of books and music for affordable sale prices. For a college student on a budget, and a hankering for piles and piles of books, this was a treasure trove.

"The Stories of Eva Luna" is a compilation of stories, each showcasing Allende's sharpness and mystical style.

After reading these stories, and the books of other magical realism authors, I feel that I've found my niche in literature. Magical realism blends reality with fantasy, and exists as one of literature's crowned jewels.

Where do you think your literary niche is? Let me know at arabusa@asu.edu or on Twitter @marie_eo.

×